• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
2 for Tuesday

tRump actually banned bump stocks 8-! I'm really surprised at that.

tRump Foundation was dissolved as part of a court order and assets will be distributed to charities of the judges choosing to avoid sham charities getting the funds.

tRump actually banned bump stocks 8-! I'm really surprised at that.

tRump Foundation was dissolved as part of a court order and assets will be distributed to charities of the judges choosing to avoid sham charities getting the funds.
Both of these will be good for everyone. (Now let's also do away with the Clinton Foundation too and get some serious campaign finance regulations in place)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Ill conceived brinksmanship

Shutting down the government because the opposition party refuses to fund a highly partisan project/program is asinine. It would be like a democratic President refusing to sign a bill funding the government unless the GOP voted for a provision requiring $5 billion for construction of new Planned Parenthood facilities in every major city! Hell, a lot of republicans recognize a wall is ultimately a waste of money and ineffective tool to manage illegal immigration. Do you know what country most illegal immigrants come from? Canada! Do they get in by sneaking across the border? No, the vast majority overstay visas. Why isn't Trump proposing a wall along the northern border? Because white people from Canada are wonderful folks, whereas Mexicans are rapists and murderers! Wall construction on the southern border has much more to do with racism than 'secure borders'

dvdneal

Cyburbian
I'm not sure, but I believe GoT might have something to say about using their font and tag line. Also, are the sanctions against some country that actually deserves it, a token look at me I do sanctions I'm presidential, or maybe against the president himself?

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'm not sure, but I believe GoT might have something to say about using their font and tag line. Also, are the sanctions against some country that actually deserves it, a token look at me I do sanctions I'm presidential, or maybe against the president himself?
They did, and it was pretty funny. The reply was "How do you say trademark misuse in Dothraki?" :D:D

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner

Planit

Cyburbian
They did, and it was pretty funny. The reply was "How do you say trademark misuse in Dothraki?" :D:D
I can't take credit for this quote - it was from an article I was reading about tRump's GoT poster ...

... considering that the president spent a lot of time during his meeting talking about how effective walls are—something Game of Thrones spectacularly debunked more than a year ago.

I don't think that Trump stands a chance in 2020, but it is going to be dependant on who the democratic candidate is. I think Crazy Uncle Bernie would end up with a record percentage of the votes over Trump in 2020... but I would once again not vote for either of them.
Last I saw Trump still has about a 90% approval rating among republicans and conservatives. He most definitely has a good chance in 2020 with that kind of support.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I can't take credit for this quote - it was from an article I was reading about tRump's GoT poster ...

... considering that the president spent a lot of time during his meeting talking about how effective walls are—something Game of Thrones spectacularly debunked more than a year ago.
To be fair, unless the Mexicans have an ice breathing undead Dragon, the wall will probably work fine :lmao::lmao:

Last I saw Trump still has about a 90% approval rating among republicans and conservatives. He most definitely has a good chance in 2020 with that kind of support.
And the polls had Hillary beating Trump...

I think that the only way that Trump wins a second term is if the Democrats run a far left career politician as a candidate. However, I think that if Crazy Uncle Bernie ran, he would destroy Trump's chances to win again because his "out there" character is not that of your typical candidate. But I don't think the DNC would allow him to win the nomination because he has his own ideas.

Personally, I know a bunch of people who voted for Trump who did so only because they could not stand Hillary and mentioned that if it was any candidate other than her, they would not have voted for Trump.

This is the exact reason that we need a 3rd party.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I too saw a recent poll that showed Trump's support among self described republicans at 88%. That's high support within the party and because of it one certainly shouldn't make the mistake of counting Trump out. At the same time polls also show his support among independents has dropped significantly during the last two years. We saw this in the 2018 elections where rural areas ended up going even redder but independents in suburban districts across the country went blue in a big way. This is not good news for either Trump or the GOP.

I'm optimistic about 2020. A lot of folks voted for Trump in 2016 before he was a known political quantity because they were turned off by Hillary - who was a very well-known political quantity whom the public had seen publicly pilloried in the press for years. Now that the general electorate and the world at large has seen Trump in action for two years they have a much better idea who they're dealing with. Approval for Trump within GOP party ranks may be as high as it can get, but that support alone is not enough to win a general election. Trump's political focus has been relentlessly aimed towards maximizing his base support and has actively avoided attempts to increase his appeal to moderates/centrists. This is likely to cost him dearly in key states (e.g. Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania) he needed in 2016 to pull out an electoral college win. Trump, however, is a one-trick pony and there's little reason to doubt he'll continue to engage in absurd antics that will further alienate the general electorate. Heck, right now he's shut the government down so that he can violate a bedrock campaign promise he made dozens of times. That's not going to play well.

Also bear in mind a few other things:
- the Mueller probe appears to be nearing completion while a number of other federal investigations into the Trump campaign are also well underway. The methodology Mueller has pursued to date is entirely consistent with how prosecutors take on organized crime families. I suspect we're going to be hearing a good deal more in the near future about the sort of criminal activities directed by Trump that got all the people surrounding him cutting plea deals and/or donning orange jump suits. An essential difference now, though, will be that any allegations made by Mueller will almost certainly be made with significant supporting evidence made public. I suspect the volume of independently verified and supporting evidence will be such that it will not allow Rudy & Cheetoh any room to shift excuses/explanations/defenses as they have attempted every month or so for the past year. None of this is going to increase his appeal to the general electorate in 2020.
- the one good thing Trump had going for him, the economy, is showing multiple indications that investors are preparing for a major bear market in the near future. Investors don't like uncertainty and things like trade wars, government shutdowns, and record federal deficits - which can all be traced directly to Trump - all serve to increase that uncertainty. Regardless the cause, a downturn in the economy never bodes well for sitting Presidents.
- While Trump's support numbers currently appear to be high among self described republicans based on certain polling metrics, there has always been a significant undercurrent of resentment/mistrust towards Trump even within conservative circles - including the power base. Trump isn't really a conservative and never has been. Trump's 'base' appears to be largely ignorant of this fact, but higher information/informed conservatives are repeatedly given rude reminders of this whenever he engages in unscripted/unplanned/impromptu statements, actions and decisions. Like siding with Putin over this country's professional intelligence services, abruptly pulling out of Syria while a battle with ISIS still rages, or deploying active duty military to the border to address some non-existent 'crisis'. This sort of thing might play well with his base ("yeah, my boy Donny is really shaking things up!"), but informed conservatives see it for what it is and quietly cringe in silence while it's going on. When the going gets rough - and the future has every appearance of getting extremely rough for the President - I suspect you're going to see the fissures in the GOP widen as vulnerable Senate candidates go into survival mode and seek to distance themselves from Trump and his policies.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I've always considered myself mostly a centrist, and generally support Democrats.

That said, I am completely sick and tired of hearing about damn Ocasio-Cortez. I don't care that she was dancing on a rooftop in college. I don't care that she worked at some bar. Just stop covering the nonsense, good Lord.

Has the partial federal shutdown affected any fellow Cyburbians? Agencies like Commerce and HUD and Agriculture and Interior are among those closed and I imagine many of use might interact with some of those pretty frequently. I went onto the Census website a couple of days ago and was glad to see that their databases were up and running (they had been knocked offline during the 2013 shutdown). Before Christmas, I had been working with a couple of folks from the Census Bureau to put together some Complete Count workshops for the communities in our county. I was surprised when my contact called me yesterday to keep the planning going. Apparently the Census Bureau employees were furloughed on the 22nd but the folks working on the 2020 decennial census were called back as essential on December 26th. I was hoping they'd still be closed as I don't like working on the Complete Count stuff and was hoping I'd have an excuse to cancel or push back our workshop.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Slate summed it up nicely: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/trump-shutdown-wall-talking-points.html

I was also listening to NPR coverage of the shutdown. They were following tourists as they tried to gain access to various museums and then talked to local businesses that operate in those areas. All these federal employees are being furloughed without pay, and tourism-oriented businesses are being harmed. It's not just about proving a point, it's about actually disrupting and harming the ability of individuals to provide for themselves and their families.

I fully put this responsibility on Trump. There have been proposals to just limit the shutdown to departments that are involved with border security and to fully fund all other operations that would have Republican support. Trump refuses to agree to anything unless he gets his wall funded.

Gedunker

Mod
I too saw a recent poll that showed Trump's support among self described republicans at 88%. That's high support within the party and because of it one certainly shouldn't make the mistake of counting Trump out. At the same time polls also show his support among independents has dropped significantly during the last two years. We saw this in the 2018 elections where rural areas ended up going even redder but independents in suburban districts across the country went blue in a big way. This is not good news for either Trump or the GOP.

I'm optimistic about 2020. A lot of folks voted for Trump in 2016 before he was a known political quantity because they were turned off by Hillary - who was a very well-known political quantity whom the public had seen publicly pilloried in the press for years. Now that the general electorate and the world at large has seen Trump in action for two years they have a much better idea who they're dealing with. Approval for Trump within GOP party ranks may be as high as it can get, but that support alone is not enough to win a general election. Trump's political focus has been relentlessly aimed towards maximizing his base support and has actively avoided attempts to increase his appeal to moderates/centrists. This is likely to cost him dearly in key states (e.g. Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania) he needed in 2016 to pull out an electoral college win. Trump, however, is a one-trick pony and there's little reason to doubt he'll continue to engage in absurd antics that will further alienate the general electorate. Heck, right now he's shut the government down so that he can violate a bedrock campaign promise he made dozens of times. That's not going to play well.

Also bear in mind a few other things:
- the Mueller probe appears to be nearing completion while a number of other federal investigations into the Trump campaign are also well underway. The methodology Mueller has pursued to date is entirely consistent with how prosecutors take on organized crime families. I suspect we're going to be hearing a good deal more in the near future about the sort of criminal activities directed by Trump that got all the people surrounding him cutting plea deals and/or donning orange jump suits. An essential difference now, though, will be that any allegations made by Mueller will almost certainly be made with significant supporting evidence made public. I suspect the volume of independently verified and supporting evidence will be such that it will not allow Rudy & Cheetoh any room to shift excuses/explanations/defenses as they have attempted every month or so for the past year. None of this is going to increase his appeal to the general electorate in 2020.
- the one good thing Trump had going for him, the economy, is showing multiple indications that investors are preparing for a major bear market in the near future. Investors don't like uncertainty and things like trade wars, government shutdowns, and record federal deficits - which can all be traced directly to Trump - all serve to increase that uncertainty. Regardless the cause, a downturn in the economy never bodes well for sitting Presidents.
- While Trump's support numbers currently appear to be high among self described republicans based on certain polling metrics, there has always been a significant undercurrent of resentment/mistrust towards Trump even within conservative circles - including the power base. Trump isn't really a conservative and never has been. Trump's 'base' appears to be largely ignorant of this fact, but higher information/informed conservatives are repeatedly given rude reminders of this whenever he engages in unscripted/unplanned/impromptu statements, actions and decisions. Like siding with Putin over this country's professional intelligence services, abruptly pulling out of Syria while a battle with ISIS still rages, or deploying active duty military to the border to address some non-existent 'crisis'. This sort of thing might play well with his base ("yeah, my boy Donny is really shaking things up!"), but informed conservatives see it for what it is and quietly cringe in silence while it's going on. When the going gets rough - and the future has every appearance of getting extremely rough for the President - I suspect you're going to see the fissures in the GOP widen as vulnerable Senate candidates go into survival mode and seek to distance themselves from Trump and his policies.
Very well said. It will be interesting to see how long McConnell and his ilk stick with Trumpster, as they can surely see the ship's heading and the iceberg on said course. Even though it's Trumpster's Republican party now, the rats will abandon ship before they Trumpster takes them down with the ship.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
I've always considered myself mostly a centrist, and generally support Democrats.

That said, I am completely sick and tired of hearing about damn Ocasio-Cortez. I don't care that she was dancing on a rooftop in college. I don't care that she worked at some bar. Just stop covering the nonsense, good Lord.
Look, ____ did something embarrassing during _____ and we're going to show all the cheerleaders the pictures just to embarrass them. Is this high school or current media coverage. You decide.

Has the partial federal shutdown affected any fellow Cyburbians? Agencies like Commerce and HUD and Agriculture and Interior are among those closed and I imagine many of use might interact with some of those pretty frequently. I went onto the Census website a couple of days ago and was glad to see that their databases were up and running (they had been knocked offline during the 2013 shutdown). Before Christmas, I had been working with a couple of folks from the Census Bureau to put together some Complete Count workshops for the communities in our county. I was surprised when my contact called me yesterday to keep the planning going. Apparently the Census Bureau employees were furloughed on the 22nd but the folks working on the 2020 decennial census were called back as essential on December 26th. I was hoping they'd still be closed as I don't like working on the Complete Count stuff and was hoping I'd have an excuse to cancel or push back our workshop.
We have a guy looking to buy our house in Kansas using a VA loan. Apparently he can't get some records he needs from the VA.