• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

The NEVERENDING Gas Price Thread

kms

Cyburbian
So, how much is gas where you are? I noticed yesterday that prices here were going up. I passed the station I use the most, and regular was priced 1.59. I went back an hour later to fill the tank, and it was 1.63. A station down the road was still pricing regular 1.59, so I filled up before it went up there, too.

Last week, I paid 1.55.

kms said:
So, how much is gas where you are? I noticed yesterday that prices here were going up. I passed the station I use the most, and regular was priced 1.59. I went back an hour later to fill the tank, and it was 1.63. A station down the road was still pricing regular 1.59, so I filled up before it went up there, too.

Last week, I paid 1.55.
It keeps fluctuating here, but basically very high. About $1.67/gallon. However, I've learned which gas stations typically have the best "deals." Hah!
I drive a piece o' crap, 1991 Toyota Corolla, but I really wonder how people with huge SUV's and Hummers, etc. can afford to keep them gassed up. Guess I have better things to spend my money on. :)

Gedunker

Mod
I paid $1.89 last night for medium-grade. Last time I filled up, about two weeks ago, I paid $1.59 for the smae stuff at the same place.

I have heard predictions that we will be paying $3.00/gallon by the end of summer. I'm glad I don't drive a whole lot. :-}

I was just considering yesterday of getting rid of my truck. I drive a Santa Fe and had to fill up twice this week $17 a pop. Gas prices are around $1.59 to $1.89. I can't really afford to fill up twice a week since my ex and I splitting up.

Here in the Great Lakes State (in my town atleast) gas is between $1.68 and $1.78.

Although I paid $1.55 on Wed in another town about 70 miles away.

It is called "Gas Creep" the prices always go up on Thur and stay high until Sunday.

donk

Cyburbian
Gas prices here just jumped 8 cents a litre overnight (36 cents a gallon) from 73.9 cents ($2.95 CDN/ US Gallon) to 81.9 cents($3.27 CDN /US Gallon) .

Can't complain too much, they stayed low here for 2 weeks while everywhere else they where up.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I don't understand the people that drive 20 or 30 miles to fill up their tanks at places with lower gas prices, like certain states or Indian reservations. They burn up their savings with the drive there. Then again, they might be going there anyhow to buy cheap cigarettes.

I knew people in Florida that would, when driving north, fill up their tanks just enough to make it to Georgia, where gasoline is probably the cheapest in the country. To me, it seems ridiculous to jump through hoops to save 20 cents a gallon (5 cents a liter in civilized parts of the world).

For some reason, people seem more sensitive about minor price fluctuations for gasoline and cigarettes than for most other products.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
here in Chicagoland it is generally between 1.69 and 1.89 for regular. I drive 60 miles a day for my commute so I fill up about 2-3 times a week. Thankfully, I have a Mercury Tracer, so I get pretty good gas mileage.

I don't concern myself with the price of gas, because it's bascially a necessity for me right now, and I also faith in the abilities of any consumer protection agencies to keep an eye on potential price gougers.

boiker

Cyburbian
Unfortunately, regarding gougers, the day you need gas is the day they gouge.

i remember on 9/11/01, as i left work to head home, the gas prices had jumped nearly 60 cents a gallon here 1.99/gal for the cheap stuff at most locations. Other stations brutally raised their low grade to $4.00/gal. They claimed they did it to preserve their supply, so they didn't run out before the filling truck came.

Those stations that charged the ridiculous amount ended up getting investigated by the state, but that's little conciliation to those who paid $40.00 for 10 gallons of gas.

gas is pushing 1.67 at most stations here, up a dime since last week.

About $1.69 so far.

It costs about $300 a week to fill up the Hummer but boy is it worth it! You should see the looks people give me when I'm in it. I may be 5' 8" but I feel like a good 5' 9" when I'm in that baby. ;)

PlannerByDay said:
Here in the Great Lakes State (in my town atleast) gas is between $1.68 and $1.78.

Although I paid $1.55 on Wed in another town about 70 miles away.

It is called "Gas Creep" the prices always go up on Thur and stay high until Sunday.
Same here... Last night was $1.68 when I filled up, now it is $1.77... time to pull out the bike.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Chet said:
My truck requires premium gas and yesterday is was $1.94 -- about $45 a tankful.
This is one of the beefs I have with these British vehicles (if that is the one you're talking about). Why in the world would you build something that can supposedly go anywhere and then require it to run on premium gas. What do you think are the chances that you can fill up with Chevron suprem with Techron, or whatever, out in the bush?

Luckily my commute to work is a two mile walk so I don't really use my car much during the week. The problem arises during the weekends because I love getting out of town and going on road trips. I can put on a lot of miles during those trips and burn a couple tanks of gas, which can add up expense wise pretty fast.

I paid $1.59 earlier this week, but now the cheapest is about $1.72

Still, that's better than all of the 1950s, 1960s and most of the 1970s and 1980s when adjusted for inflation. Heck,in 1981, I paid about $2.90/gallon

biscuit

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
I paid $1.59 earlier this week, but now the cheapest is about $1.72

Still, that's better than all of the 1950s, 1960s and most of the 1970s and 1980s when adjusted for inflation. Heck,in 1981, I paid about $2.90/gallon
My Dad and I were having a conversation about that a couple of weeks ago. He was saying that although people complain about the price of gas now it is nothing compared to what they were paying when he was growijng up in the 50's and 60's. He said said something to the effect of, "Unlike unnamed family member, we weren't constantly driving here, there and all over the place. We might of went to town (about 20 miles back then to the nearest town of any size) once a week, if that, and got everything we'd need then. We couldn't afford to drive that much because gas was so much more expensive in relation to what we had."

Perhaps rising fuel prices will steer our society back to a more effecient style of living. I mean, don't get me wrong, I reallly like having cheap gas and being able to hop in my car and go whenever I want without thinking. It's a nice way to live, but we have admit that it is a very wasteful lifestyle.

By the way, I paid $1.599 a gallon when I filled up last night at the neighborhood gas station.

Last edited:

Gedunker

Mod
I don't know why this stays so clearly in my memory, but I filled up my 1972 VW Beetle for 65 cents/gallon at the Shell Station on Route 22 when I left for my freshman year of college in 1978. I think I earned about $6.00/hr that summer working for the moving company, so a fill up cost less than an hours wages.

Last night's 14.5 gallons cost $27.50, more than I make per hour now. :-c

ludes98

Cyburbian
I paid $1.73 the other day. We had a gas shortage here over the summer and I paid $3.00 a gallon then. Usually put about 22 gallons in, $60 a tank stings.

Gas prices amaze me. This year voters in our state will likely pass a half cent sales tax to fund a transportation program which, not surprisingly, 57% of which will fund highways/freeways, 32% for transit, and 9% for roads. I know we are a society addicted to cars (myself included), but why aren't fuel taxes higher? It seems that car use should pay more of its own way and maybe we could get cars with better than single digit fuel economy. I say this even as I drive a full size pickup that gets 13MPG.