• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Maister wanted a Thread Split and I gave it to him

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator note:
*Hink I split this.

I am considering buying a $1 grande burrito from Taco Bell, explain to me why that is a bad idea.
This cries out for a thread split. My kingdom for a thread split.

So the reasons why it's a bad idea include:
1. It's Taco Bell
2. Potential for food poisoning
3. guaranteed blandness even if no food poisoning occurs
4. It's Taco Bell

Last edited by a moderator:

Hink

OH....IO
That's giving Taco Bell too much credit.
I agree. Fazolis has a couple items that are edible. Taco Bell just cheapens everything and makes it taste like cardboard. I would have imagined that they would go out of business because of Chipotle, but I think the drive thru is probably propping them up. Laziness and price will keep Taco Bell around, but that doesn't mean that people should eat their food without great regret.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
No.

I took a 12 year break from Taco Bell and then ate it once 6 years ago and now am likely to go another inifinity years before I try it again.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Just as bad as Taco Bell is Taco John's
# of locations
Arkansas(2)
Colorado(18)
Idaho(5)
Illinois(10)
Indiana(2)
Iowa(61)
Kansas(17)
Kentucky(10)
Michigan(1)
Minnesota(63)
Missouri(12)
Montana(22)
Nebraska(42)
Nevada(1)
New York(2)
North Dakota(24)
Ohio(2)
South Dakota(36)
Tennessee(2)
Virginia(2)
Washington(4)
Wisconsin(30)
Wyoming(26)

No locations in California, New Mexico or Texas.... that's a red flag for a taco joint right there.

Just as bad as Taco Bell is Taco John's
# of locations
Arkansas(2)
Colorado(18)
Idaho(5)
Illinois(10)
Indiana(2)
Iowa(61)
Kansas(17)
Kentucky(10)
Michigan(1)
Minnesota(63)
Missouri(12)
Montana(22)
Nebraska(42)
Nevada(1)
New York(2)
North Dakota(24)
Ohio(2)
South Dakota(36)
Tennessee(2)
Virginia(2)
Washington(4)
Wisconsin(30)
Wyoming(26)
Yeah, good old Taco Toliet.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
I used to work at Taco Bell as a kid. So story time!

Middle of lunch rush and the place is packed. This is early 1990 so yes people went to Taco Bell. So everyone is moving getting the food out when some lady screams. The manager rushes out, "What's wrong!" The lady yells, "It's a mouse!" Half the restaurant, and I use that term loosely, clears out right there. The manager runs back to the back and grabs a mop. You know the old string kind of mop. With a giant overhand whack, string flying, she whacks at the mouse and takes a couple stabs. The mouse of course survived. The lunch rush didn't.

Back in the day Taco Bell had pressure cookers for beans. After the beans cooked I would pull out an industrial drill with a paint whip and stand over this vat of beans and whip them into creamy goodness.

Back in the day they actually used meat for their mix. It was high fat content meat logs, but still meat and not cardboard. To cook it you throw a couple logs in the pan and pour a bucket of "special sauce" over it. It now looks like someone threw up on the raw meat. Once it's cooked they had these slotted L shaped things that fit across the pan. You would scoop all the meat into that and let the grease drain out. The amount of grease was barely greater than the accumulated grease of all the teenage employees.

Late at night we would have food fights with the sour cream and guacamole. Mostly because they came in giant caulking guns and I could shoot guacamole about 30'. Sour cream not so far. FYI, a side of either cost about a penny at the time. They charged 30 cents.

The reason the place is still open is this guy... It was late at night and remember at that time the menu was basically just tacos, burritos, and a couple odd things. This guy comes in and just stares at the menu board for a while. I leaned over to my friend and whispered, "$10 bucks says he orders something not on the menu." The guys walks up and asks for french fries. I can hear an "Aw FUCK!" out of my friend. Nope, no french fries. So he tells me he's just really hungry. My great reply, "It's all cheap enough, you should just order one of everything." We're talking maybe $10 worth of food. The menu was really limited. He perks up and says let's do that. I hear, from around the corner, "YOU ASSHOLE!" Nothing worse than making one of everything. It's easier to make 10 tacos than one of everything. Stoners have kept that place open for years.

Hink

OH....IO
Honestly, is there a "fast" Mexican restaurant that is good? Please don't list Chipotle or QDoba, because that isn't fast in my mind, it is medium. Del Taco? Baha Fresh? El Pollo Loco?

Late at night we would have food fights with the sour cream and guacamole. Mostly because they came in giant caulking guns and I could shoot guacamole about 30'. Sour cream not so far. FYI, a side of either cost about a penny at the time. They charged 30 cents.
Not Taco Bell related, but my first job was washing dishes in an Italian restaurant. One night as the cook and I were cleaning the kitchen we started messing around with each other. Now, this restaurant was basically three strip-mall spaces with doorways in between them: the bar with the kitchen behind it on the right end, the front dining room in the middle, and the back dining room toward the left. all three were connected at the back with a hallway between the kitchen and the bathrooms which were behind the back dining room.

So anyway, the cook and I started throwing hangers from the coat rack (which was in that back corridor) at each other. He chased me from the bathrooms toward the kitchen and into the bar area. I ran around toward the front dining room, but decided to double back through the kitchen. I came upon the cook from behind, with a hanger over his head ready to throw it at me when I got back to the hallway... but back where I wouldn't see him so he could attack me. Just as I came up behind him, a lady (customer) came into the hallway to use the restroom. He sees someone coming through the doorway and comes at her in full battle mode, "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Oh! Lady, I'm sorry I thought you were someone else!!!!!"

I think she pissed her britches right then and there. He retreated to the kitchen and saw me watching him from behind. We got into the kitchen and laughed our asses off. He's lucky he didn't get fired. :D

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I remember when you used to be able to get a 12 pack of tacos for $3. They have more variety now then they did 20 to 30 years ago and the cost is more. It's not the cheap eats place that it used to be in my opinion. The local taco bell has poor customer service and super slow. I have on ocasion driven past it to go 4 miles away to the taco bell in the town one over and driven back by to see the same cars still waiting in line 25+ minutes later. I would much rather go to one of the authentic Latino restaurants and get some carne asado tacos. I get better quaility for less than I would spend at taco bell.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Taco Bell is the place you go to get something to put in your stomach after closing the bar.

I agree. Fazolis has a couple items that are edible. Taco Bell just cheapens everything and makes it taste like cardboard. I would have imagined that they would go out of business because of Chipotle, but I think the drive thru is probably propping them up. Laziness and price will keep Taco Bell around, but that doesn't mean that people should eat their food without great regret.
Talking about Fazolis is making me hungry for it again. We don't have one anywhere near here. Since carbs have become verboten in a lot of diets, I wonder how the chain is doing.