• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Graduate/Masters Canadian Urban Planning Graduate Programs

Hi all,

I've been looking through the forums for information regarding Canadian urban planning graduate programs. Most of the threads are very old, and many of the programs have gone through changes.

I'm curious if there is a consensus as the "best" graduate program in planning in Canada?

My current interests are in inclusive urban design and mobility. I live in southwestern Ontario so the University of Toronto and Ryerson University's appear to be my preference so far. Again, I'm very interested in the design elements of urban planning. UofT offers an Urban Design specialization, while Ryerson has an alleged more 'hands on" program.

My concern when comparing the two programs is I'm wondering if UofT's UD specialization really matters when applying for jobs vs. Ryerson's more 'hands-on' approach. Basically will I come out of Ryerson's program with more of a practical experience utilizing elements of design vs. "a specialization in Urban design" @ UofT?

Thank you for your time!

I can't speak to the programs in Ontario, but I've heard that the University of Calgary's planning program is heavy on urban design as well, so maybe that's something you want to check out, at least as a backup of some sort?