• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

2019 Major League Baseball (and/or Braves Angst) Thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
Let's get this started...

Los Bravos made a couple of free agent signings yesterday - Brian McCann returns home to platoon at catcher (let's see if he has anything left), and apparently Josh Donaldson will get a run a 3B if he can stay healthy. It'll be interesting to see what management does now with Carmargo - "super utility" player? RF? Trade? More importantly, though, is that the Braves added these guys without giving up any prospects (although, admittedly, I have not seen who they're going to have to try and slide through waivers to make room on the 40-man roster).

Let's get this started...

Los Bravos made a couple of free agent signings yesterday - Brian McCann returns home to platoon at catcher (let's see if he has anything left), and apparently Josh Donaldson will get a run a 3B if he can stay healthy. It'll be interesting to see what management does now with Carmargo - "super utility" player? RF? Trade? More importantly, though, is that the Braves added these guys without giving up any prospects (although, admittedly, I have not seen who they're going to have to try and slide through waivers to make room on the 40-man roster).
Any chance Carmargo can catch? If Donaldson can stay healthy it will be nice to have some protection for Freeman in the lineup...or would Freeman be protecting Donaldson?

Gedunker

Mod
My Redbirds acquired Arizona Diamondback 1B Paul Goldschmidt for P Luke Weaver, C Carson Kelley, and prospects. A lot of Cardinals fans wanted Josh Donaldson, but I thought he was way too much of an injury risk, so I wasn't too disappointed he ended up in Peach City.

It's nice to have a true slugger back in the line-up after the Pujols years (excepting Carlos Beltran, who was awesome, but old) and the somewhat underwhelming year Marcell Ozuna had in '18. Now, we need a lefty bench bat and a lefty reliever and I think we're ready for '19.

Bubba

Cyburbian
A lot of Cardinals fans wanted Josh Donaldson, but I thought he was way too much of an injury risk, so I wasn't too disappointed he ended up in Peach City.
Donaldson is an intriguing signing for my Braves, and a bit out of character for the current ownership. But, if he's back to 100% healthy (as reported), it's promising...plus it's just a one year deal.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Indians are reportedly open to trading both Trevor Bauer and Corey Kluber. Um, what...?

I'm curious how the Cubs are going to handle the closer situation. The Die-Hard Cub fans Facebook page keeps trying to push getting Bryce Harper. I just don't think he's worth it. Plus, there are more pressing needs.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Die-Hard Cub fans Facebook page keeps trying to push getting Bryce Harper. I just don't think he's worth it. Plus, there are more pressing needs.
Harper is an odd case. He reportedly turned down 10 years/$300m from the Nats...I'm guessing some club will end up overpaying him more per year than that, and end up bitter and disappointed about three seasons into the deal.

Harper is an odd case. He reportedly turned down 10 years/$300m from the Nats...I'm guessing some club will end up overpaying him more per year than that, and end up bitter and disappointed about three seasons into the deal.
He's going for the monopoly money and I just don't think he's worth it, especially for the long term. I think they have a decent rotation and signing Hamels was a good idea. If Yu doesn't come back, no big deal. I do think they need a consistent lead off man. and they need to shore up the middle relief and get a consistent closer. I am curious what they are going to do at 2nd base.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Baby Cakes are no more.

The New Orleans Baby Cakes (AAA Marlins Franchise) have been moved to Wichita, Kansas. They are having a 'name the team' contest so they aren't using their former name or their parent club - neither of which could come into play in Wichita.

The Baby Cakes are no more.

The New Orleans Baby Cakes (AAA Marlins Franchise) have been moved to Wichita, Kansas. They are having a 'name the team' contest so they aren't using their former name or their parent club - neither of which could come into play in Wichita.
I wonder if New Orleans will get a new team. I went to a Zephyrs game a couple of years back. It was hotter than !@#$%$ but a fun game to watch. Baby Cakes was pretty lame and needs to go to the dust bin of stupid team names.