• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

2018 NCAA Football Thread of Importance

One less bowl game this year from last.

So there are 41 Bowl games to watch starting on December 15th with the Air Force Celebration Bowl pitting NC AT&T v Alcorn State (there are also 5 other games on that day) and ending with the National Championship game on January 7th.

The Top 10 teams play in the following games:

Dec. 29 - Chik-fil- A Peach Bowl - #10 Florida v #7 Michigan
Dec. 29 - Goodyear Cotton Bowl - #2 Clemson v #3 Notre Dame *
Dec. 29 - Capital One Orange Bowl - #1 Alabama v #4 Oklahoma *
Jan. 1 - PlayStation Fiesta Bowl - #11 LSU v #8 UCF
Jan. 1 - Rose Bowl - #9 Washington v #6 Ohio State
Jan. 2 - Allstate Sugar Bowl - #15 Texas v #5 Georgia

* Playoff game

Get your face paint ready!

Chik-fil- A Peach Bowl - Michigan
Goodyear Cotton Bowl - ND
Capital One Orange Bowl - Alabama
PlayStation Fiesta Bowl - LSU
Rose Bowl - OSU
Allstate Sugar Bowl- GA

and ND will lose to Alabama.

AG74683

Cyburbian
AG: I picked Appy
Man what an absolute blowout that game ended up being. I was worried for like the 1st quarter. MTSU had a pretty weird dynamic there for a college team. Head coach with his son as the QB. Just seems weird at that level of play.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Urban Meyer's new gig:

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer announced earlier this month that he will retire following the Buckeyes’ matchup against Washington in the Rose Bowl.

He isn’t, though, planning to completely walk away from the university once his responsibilities with the football team come to a close.

In an interview with CBS 10TV on Thursday, Meyer said he will be co-teaching a “character and leadership” course at Ohio State’s Fisher College of Business next year. He also said he plans to work with athletic director Gene Smith “in some capacity” after he officially retires.
The jokes just write themselves...

Bubba

Cyburbian
Notre Dame and Michigan both get waxed in big bowl games. That's a very satisfying day.
Notre Dame, unsurprisingly, turned out to be a complete fraud, which is something everyone but their fan base and the CFP Selection Committee already knew. ;)

AG74683

Cyburbian
Yet another year of Alabama Clemson. The system is clearly broken. And FWIW, Alabama is going to destroy Clemson this year. I think that Tide team could take on some lower tier NFL teams and beat them.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Yet another year of Alabama Clemson. The system is clearly broken.
Bama and Clemson clearly deserved to be the top seeds in the playoff. The humans in the system faltered by bowing to political pressure to include a completely undeserving Notre Dame. Including Oklahoma was debatable wrt Ohio State. UGA, while one of the best teams in the country, shot themselves in the foot by losing to LSU and then collapsing against Bama. Ultimately, it doesn't matter - Central Florida will claim another National Championship for themselves if they win their bowl game (bless their hearts :D).

I think that Tide team could take on some lower tier NFL teams and beat them.
The problem with that hypothetical is roster sizes. I don't think Bama beats any NFL team if they're limited to dressing 53 players.

Hink

OH....IO
It should have been:

1. Alabama v. 4. Ohio State
2. Clemson v. 3. Georgia

1. Alabama v. 3. Georgia in the final.

I don't like the idea that the SEC got two in, but in the end Georgia is probably the second best team in the country this year. Even though they lost to LSU. And Ohio State is better than one loss to Purdue, even though that did happen.

If Ohio State and Georgia win their bowl games the season should end:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
5. Oklahoma
6. ND

Gedunker

Mod
^^^ The Arizona Cardinals - this year's worst NFL team - would smoke 'Bama. Yes, the Tide are a talented team, but the difference across the board is just way too great. It wouldn't be close to entertaining, IMO.

Hink

OH....IO
^^^ The Arizona Cardinals - this year's worst NFL team - would smoke 'Bama. Yes, the Tide are a talented team, but the difference across the board is just way too great. It wouldn't be close to entertaining, IMO.
It would be entertaining, but only because I like when Saban looks mad.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Bama and Clemson clearly deserved to be the top seeds in the playoff. The humans in the system faltered by bowing to political pressure to include a completely undeserving Notre Dame. Including Oklahoma was debatable wrt Ohio State. UGA, while one of the best teams in the country, shot themselves in the foot by losing to LSU and then collapsing against Bama. Ultimately, it doesn't matter - Central Florida will claim another National Championship for themselves if they win their bowl game (bless their hearts :D).

The problem with that hypothetical is roster sizes. I don't think Bama beats any NFL team if they're limited to dressing 53 players.
No denying Alabama and Clemson deserved to be there, but Notre Dame should have been FAR away from the playoff conversation. Oklahoma was close, but no doubt UGA needed to be in the conversation. My problem with the system is just that, UGA lost out on a single loss to LSU, a conference game which is always tricky. I don't count the 'Bama loss because that was sort of expected. I don't think a single loss should eliminate a team like that. It puts so much unnecessary stress on the team.

I didn't think about the roster limitations, that would be tough.

Hink

OH....IO
Nevermind about the Georgia in the playoff conversation.

I still think Ohio State should have been, even though they only played football for 3 quarters.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Nevermind about the Georgia in the playoff conversation.
I turned it off when Texas went up 17 - 0. The kids didn't seem to want to be there for some reason...continues the streak of the #5 team in the final CFP seeding losing their bowl game. Go figure.

Planit

Cyburbian
Many of the Holiday Week bowl games have been disappointing. Several blowouts and teams that should have shown better. Both playoff games weren't good (ND - Ha Ha Ha!). I wonder how UCF wouldn't have done with Minton in the lineup. The front line still needed help though.

I did like the results of the Peach Bowl in particular!!!

I'm going to take Clemson this year for the rubber match (I just wanna see Saban pissed).

Hink

OH....IO
So umm... what happened? Holy beatdown batman! I was pretty wrong on Clemson.

I like how horrible Tua looked, and Saban continually saying, "What the hell Tua".

Trevor Lawrence is a pretty good QB. He has two years left until he can go to the draft....lol.

Planit

Cyburbian
Tua threw 2 TDs in the first 3 minutes ... to 2 different teams. Then the Bama defense couldn't stop that Clemson offense.

By the end of the 2nd Quarter, Bama hadn't given up that many points nor had been behind by that many all year - It was over by halftime.

It was nice to see Saban pissed!!!

So there was a bunch of people who were claiming that Notre Dame did not deserve to be in the playoffs because they were not good enough being how badly they were beaten by Clemson.

I am surprised by the outcome, but very happy.