• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

2018 NCAA Football Thread of Importance

AG74683

Cyburbian
App State's coach, Scott Satterfield, is leaving to take the Louisville job. I'm about 50 50 on it. I think Satterfield had a tendency to be too conservative with the offense, and I'm not sure he brings the name recognition that Louisville needs to revitalize the program, but I'm happy for the guy.

That one actually surprises me a bit. I thought Satterfield was kind of like Fitzgerald at Northwestern and would be there for life.

AG74683

Cyburbian
That one actually surprises me a bit. I thought Satterfield was kind of like Fitzgerald at Northwestern and would be there for life.
The rumor mill says it was related to money. He makes around 712k a year at App, and the Louisville contract is rumored at 1m. I think App should spin this and try and market themselves as a coach incubator.

Planit

Cyburbian
It'll be interesting to see the condition tosu football is in as Urban leaves. Remember he left nothing in the cupboard at Florida when he left. It's only been in the last year or two that Florida has transitioned back into the team they should be and still has a few steps to go.

Hink

OH....IO
All us Michigan fans are hoping he goes to the NFL next season.
I generally roll my eyes at third year sophomores turning pro, but he's one of the exceptions to that.
He will go and be the second QB drafted. He isn't ready, but he is clearly good enough of a project for someone to take on. I just wish he would wait one more year, like Baker Mayfield, and get the coaching he needs. Ahh well.

It'll be interesting to see the condition tosu football is in as Urban leaves. Remember he left nothing in the cupboard at Florida when he left. It's only been in the last year or two that Florida has transitioned back into the team they should be and still has a few steps to go.
They are much better off than Florida was. Ohio State won the Big10, is still recruiting (one of the reasons they say he is leaving now is to "help" recruiting, although who knows how that will go), and will have a coach who is clearly capable. He is young and has proven he can handle the pressure.

I think what will be interesting is what, if any, staff changes Day makes. Does he start revamping the defense? He is clearly the guy in charge of offense, but does he move on from Schiano? Does he look around for a co-head coach style defensive guy? It is for the best, but I sure would have liked if they could have convinced Dabo Sweeney to take the job.... ;)

Hink

OH....IO
Urban Meyer? Never heard of him.
You know, the guy that beat Michigan 7 times in a row and never lost? I am sure you didn't see him much, while you were crying during the game. ;)

Next year may be the year though, new coach at Ohio State. Here's to hoping Michigan can get it sh!t together enough to beat us. :thumbsup::brofist::trophy:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
The rumor mill says it was related to money. He makes around 712k a year at App, and the Louisville contract is rumored at 1m. I think App should spin this and try and market themselves as a coach incubator.
It would surprise me if the salary at Louisville was that low. Bobby Petrino was making 3.9 million. I figure it has to be at least double or triple his current salary, Louisville is a power 5 school. Mike Houston at ECU is getting 1.3 million. 1 million seems low for ACC football coach.

Gedunker

Mod
It would surprise me if the salary at Louisville was that low. Bobby Petrino was making 3.9 million. I figure it has to be at least double or triple his current salary, Louisville is a power 5 school. Mike Houston at ECU is getting 1.3 million. 1 million seems low for ACC football coach.
Yup. Satterfield will earn a base of $1.625M and additional comp of another $1.625, with bonuses bringing the total possible to $4.4M per year. I’m in the wrong damn business:r:

Hink

OH....IO
Alabama's OC to coach Maryland. I bet Alabama won't have a solid offense next year now.... ;)

AG74683

Cyburbian
Yup. Satterfield will earn a base of $1.625M and additional comp of another $1.625, with bonuses bringing the total possible to $4.4M per year. I’m in the wrong damn business:r:
I thought that number sounded pretty low. IMO, I'd leave too for that kind of money. I just don't know if he'll be able to recruit the players he'll need to compete at Louisville. He's evidently bringing some App State recruits with him, but those are 2 and 3 star guys, not what you need to compete at their level, even in the ACC.

Planit

Cyburbian
Bowling Season

One less bowl game this year from last.

So there are 41 Bowl games to watch starting on December 15th with the Air Force Celebration Bowl pitting NC AT&T v Alcorn State (there are also 5 other games on that day) and ending with the National Championship game on January 7th.

The Top 10 teams play in the following games:

Dec. 29 - Chik-fil- A Peach Bowl - #10 Florida v #7 Michigan
Dec. 29 - Goodyear Cotton Bowl - #2 Clemson v #3 Notre Dame *
Dec. 29 - Capital One Orange Bowl - #1 Alabama v #4 Oklahoma *
Jan. 1 - PlayStation Fiesta Bowl - #11 LSU v #8 UCF
Jan. 1 - Rose Bowl - #9 Washington v #6 Ohio State
Jan. 2 - Allstate Sugar Bowl - #15 Texas v #5 Georgia

* Playoff game

Get your face paint ready!

Planit

Cyburbian
Former & disgraced head coach from Ole Miss, Hugh Freeze has been named the new head football coach at Liberty University.

This should be interesting. Someone needs to tell Hugh that coaching at Liberty ain't the same as a missionary position...

Bubba

Cyburbian
Former & disgraced head coach from Ole Miss, Hugh Freeze has been named the new head football coach at Liberty University.
Liberty’s AD, Ian McCaw, was the AD at Baylor until the sexual assault scandal there...what could possibly go wrong?

Planit

Cyburbian
Good thing I didn't enter an official College Football Bowl pick 'em contest.

At this point, I'm 3-9. UGH!

AG: I picked Appy